This page provides a brief English summary of key information about the Munich Metropolitan Region and the activities of the European Metropolitan Region Munich e.V. association (or EMM for short). If you need more information in English, please contact our office (see bottom of the page for details).
What is a metropolitan region?
What does a metropolitan region do for the overall structural development of a given space?
- It drives innovation and gives the region a sharper competitive edge.
- It promotes integration in the global economy.
- It serves as a hub of international cultural transfer.
- It stands tall as a lighthouse whose reach embraces the European and international communities.
Europäische Metropolregion München e.V. association (or EMM for short) is…
- …the supraregional network behind the Munich Metropolitan Region.
- …the neutral, cross-institution, multi-interest platform for cooperation in any shape or form – especially that between cities and regions, between urban and rural spaces.
- …the identifier and multiplier of topics/trends contributing to positive development of the region.
- …the institutional basis and executive organization driving and enabling nationwide and international awareness of the Munich Metropolitan Region as one of the most attractive living spaces and successful business hubs in Europe.
Many counties and cities collaborate with the Chambers of Commerce and Industry and Chambers of Skilled Crafts in Swabia, Upper Bavaria and Lower Bavaria, as well as with institutions representing the business and scientific communities and society as a whole to strengthen widespread awareness of and identification with the Munich Metropolitan Region. This work takes place on a voluntary basis within the EMM association.
…addressed by the Munich Metropolitan Region
Members of the association join forces in workgroups to tackle key issues such as knowledge, the economy, the environment and mobility. In this way, they contribute to sustainable development in the Munich Metropolitan Region. Cooperation between urban and rural spaces and the business and political communities gives a boost to the entire region and contributes to sustaining residents’ high quality of life. Right now, the association’s projects focus primarily on:
- Construction culture
- Cultural and creative industries
- Coworking areas
- International Building Exhibition 2030 (IBA)
- Sustainability: Greater regionality & a fair metropolitan region